August 12, 2020
Stay Upright, Go Straight, Finish Strong!
The Wisdom of A Woman Canoeist
Cindy and I took two main principles away from our conversation with Pam Boteler. The first was her wisdom regarding energy stores: how to build, keep and replenish them. Secondly, her ‘visioning’ of others for whom she feels strongly about moving into a better place, particularly with respect to women canoeists competing at international levels.
In her capacity as advisor to the True Athlete Project, Pam has identified these key areas as critical to being your best self every day:
- Nutritional Factors - Whole fresh foods, dense calories, etc.
- Physical - Vigorous physical activity, yoga, deep sleep, recovery, hugs, sex, kisses…and laughter
- Mental - Positive thoughts, inspiring images, good smells, focus, mindfulness, meditation
- Environmental - Fresh air, sunshine, nature, animals, family
- Emotional/Spiritual - Alignment with purpose/passion, say “no”, positive/nurturing relationships, gratitude, giving
It goes from as big as waking up every day with a map of the world seeing which countries had women canoeists (2 in 2000), then working every day to increase the breadth and depth of development/racing and ensuring those stories and data are elevated to the Intl Canoe Federation. I've also used it in training/racing as we discussed post interview. (Pam Boteler)
dream10x dream big podcast athlete olympics canoeing washington canoe club kayaking vegan pam boteler lake lanier sheila kuyper mexico city maui outrigger tahiti french polynesia